Information on foreign language study qualifications for English

A foreign language qualification must be proven for the English part of the course. All information on this can be found in the FAQs and in the excerpt from the EUF study qualification statutes for the subject English (see below). Please check carefully whether you meet the criteria specified in the study qualification statutes for studying English at the EUF. If you need to provide proof that is neither explicitly listed nor excluded here, please get in touch with the contact person in the department.

The study qualification statutes of the EUF stipulate that you have to have an average grade of 11 points in English in the qualification phase, i.e. in the last four semesters of your upper school. In the case of an average number with a decimal place, it is mathematically rounded up in your favour. In concrete terms, this means the following examples would qualify, whereby the order of the points in the semesters does not matter:

First Semester Second Semester Third Semester Fourth Semester Average
10 10 11 11 10,5
10 11 11 11 10,75
11 11 11 11 11

Please note that these are minimum points.
A total of 42 points (or more) in English must be present on the Abitur certificate.
If you have an average of more than 11 points in English, you of course also meet the requirements.

If you have less than 11 (or 10.5) points and still want to study English as a subject at the EUF, you can have your foreign language skills confirmed using one of the following language certificates:

a) CAE (C 1 Advanced/Certificate in Advanced English): Grade B
b) CPE (C 2 Proficiency/Certificate of Proficiency in English): Grade C
c) IELTS Academic (International English Language Testing System): 6.5 (Total Score)
d) TOEFL iBT (Test of English as a Foreign Language): 90 points (internet-based).

Please note the minimum number of points or minimum grade that you have to achieve in the respective test. Also pay attention to the exact name of the test. ETS, the commercial provider of TOEFL, offers a number of different language tests. Here you must pay attention to the iBT (internet-based test) label. For the IELTS test from the British Council, it must be "Academic". The language tests from Cambridge that we recognize for studying English are the "Advanced English (C1)" and the "Proficiency in English (C2)".

You can find more information about the recognized language tests at the following links:


IELTS Academic:

Cambridge C1 Advanced:

Cambridge C2 Proficiency:

The tests mentioned above are all at an academically comparable level and are internationally recognized by many universities as proof of foreign language skills for a course of study. Therefore, the provider plays no role in proving foreign language skills. If you select one of the tests we recognize and achieve the minimum number of points/grade, you meet the foreign language requirements for studying English.

Many commercial providers of language tests now offer the option of taking the test over the Internet, provided that certain technical requirements are met (e.g. stable connection). You can also take a language test in person at an on-site test center. On the provider's website you will find information about the test centers in your area and the dates on which the respective test is offered. The EUF has also recently become a certified TOEFL-iBT test center and offers this test. You will find more information here.

Everyone has to answer this question for themselves. First of all, it depends on whether you have the technical and spatial requirements at home to take a language test on a laptop or computer for several hours in peace. For some, this option may be more convenient than going to the nearest testing center, which may not be in the immediate area. Ultimately it also depends on where you feel comfortable in the exam situation and where you think you can perform well on the day of the exam.

In addition to the TOEFL ITP, the EUF Center for Languages now also offers the TOEFL iBT, so that prospective students can also take the language test here on site. Please note that registration for the test takes place via the provider ETS and there are special dates when the test is offered in Flensburg.

You can find further information about this at our Language Center website.

Cambridge A2 Key / Cambridge English Key (KET)
Cambridge B1 Preliminary / Cambridge English Preliminary (PET)
Cambridge B2 First / Cambridge English First (FCE)
IELTS General Training
TOEFL Junior
TOEFL Primary        
KMK Foreign Language Certificate (Exception: Level IV)

Job-related language tests, such as English for Legal Purposes, are also not recognized.

No. A note on the Abitur certificate stating that you have English language skills at level B1 or B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) is not linked to a specific English grade.

A stay abroad before the start of your studies (e.g. au pair, participation in a language course, attending high school) is not a substitute for a language test, even if we strongly recommend a longer stay in an English-speaking country for studying English — which is mandatory for the master's degree of Education (M.Ed.) as of the fall semester 2025/26  (further information can be found here).

Absolutely! These tests usually last several hours (approx. 3-4 hours). Different language skill areas are tested (listening comprehension, reading comprehension, speaking, writing). You should prepare for the test format so that you are informed about the procedure of the test. On the providers' websites you will find more detailed information about the content and procedure as well as sometimes mock tests or sample questions that give a more detailed insight into the test. In addition, you can get further literature with exam tasks and exercises to get fit for the language test.

Since these are commercial test providers, taking part in the test costs a fee. This may seem like a lot at first, but in the long term it is money well invested in professional training.

In March 2022 the prices looked like this:

  • TOEFL iBT: $265 (USD)
  • IELTS Academic: €235
  • Cambridge C1/C2: Fee depends on the test center (test is not offered online)

Check with the relevant testing organization for current prices.

English grades on high school diplomas do not have an "expiration date." You can also submit a certificate with English grades as an older "non-traditional student" when applying for a place at university.

However, a test certificate submitted as proof of language skills must not be older than two years, calculated from the beginning of the semester for which enrollment is requested.

In the online application process, proof of English as a foreign language is initially provided by your Abitur certificate, on which your English scores for the last four semesters of upper school are listed. Otherwise, enclose a copy of your language certificate with the application, which shows the overall grade or number of points. Proof must be submitted to the Admissions Office together with your other application documents by the application deadline (15 July). In the course of the application process, these documents will be used to check whether you meet the foreign language requirements for studying English at the EUF.

No. You do not need to show proficiency in any other foreign languages (such as French or Spanish).

Student Qualification Regulation (in German)

Vom 10. Januar 2022

B.A. Bildungswissenschaften, Teilstudiengang Englisch

Der Teilstudiengang Englisch im Rahmen des Bachelorstudiengangs Bildungswissenschaften setzt den Nachweis über angemessene Sprachkenntnisse des Englischen voraus. Folgende Nachweise werden gleichberechtigt anerkannt:

1. ein Notendurchschnitt von 11 Punkten im Fach Englisch in der Qualifikationsphase der Oberstufe, wobei Englisch ununterbrochen bis zum Abitur weitergeführt worden sein muss (Hinweis: Die jeweils erreichten Punkte der letzten vier Halbjahre in der Oberstufe müssen den Mittelwert von 11 Punkten ergeben),

2. ein zum Hochschulzugang berechtigender Schulabschluss einer englischsprachigen Schule,

3. das Erreichen von festgelegten Mindestpunktzahlen bzw. Mindestnoten in einem der folgenden anerkannten Sprachtests:

a) CAE (C 1 Advanced/Certificate in Advanced English): Grade B
b) CPE (C 2 Proficiency/Certificate of Proficiency in English): Grade C
c) IELTS Academic (International English Language Testing System): 6,5 (Total Score)
d) TOEFL iBT (Test of English as a Foreign Language): 90 Punkte (internet-based).

Das zum Nachweis der Sprachkenntnisse vorgelegte Zertifikat darf nicht älter als zwei Jahre sein, gerechnet ab Beginn des Semesters, zu dem die Einschreibung beantragt wird. Diese Frist gilt nicht für den Notendurchschnitt von 11 Punkten im Fach Englisch in der Oberstufe.

Wenn ein nicht aufgeführtes Zertifikat auf Anfrage durch das Fach anerkannt wurde, ist die schriftliche Bestätigung über die Anerkennung der Bewerbung beizufügen.