Eine Studentin liegt im Hintergrund am Steinstrand, im Vordergrund eine Hand mit Kompass
Eine Studentin liegt im Hintergrund am Steinstrand, im Vordergrund eine Hand mit Kompass
Ein metallener Kompass liegt auf einer Landkarte
Ein metallener Kompass liegt auf einer Landkarte

Step 1: Gather information about going abroad

Your first step is to get an overview: find out which countries worldwide are open to you for study, what are your options for doing an internship or shorter stay abroad, and how much time you should allow for planning.

Which universities can I attend during my stay abroad?

In principle, you can go to almost any university in the world as a "freemover." However, things will be easier for you in many ways if you visit one of EUF's over 100 partner universities.

If you choose one of our partner universities...

  • There are no tuition fees.
  • The EUF International Center coordinates the application process and establishes contact with the partner university.
  • The recognition process for your coursework abroad (credit transfer) is secured by agreements, i.e., Learning Agreements and applications for recognition
  • The host university helps you find housing, choose your degree and language programs there, and assists you with other administrative matters.

Browse partner universities    Read exchange student accounts     Follow DAAD Correspondent student bloggers

If you opt to go abroad as a freemover, you apply independently to the university of your choice. You may be charged tuition fees studying there. For more information, contact a freemoving agency

How far in advance do I have to start planning?

Can I go abroad for a shorter period of time, or to do an internship?

Going abroad for a shorter period of time is quite possible within the framework of a summer or winter school or a language course. An internship abroad is is great way to get some initial professional experience under your belt.

Learn more about internships/short stays abroadFollow DAAD Correspondent student bloggers

Where can I get personalized advice?

If you have general questions about studying abroad, check our FAQ website. Our student assistant Johanna Rauschelbach is also happy to help you.

Picture of Johanna Rauschelbach

Johanna Rauschelbach

Initial advice on studying abroad

If you still need advice after that, please feel free to contact us:

Personal consultation

We also offer information events throughout the year:

Presentations of our information events (more presentations available on the German website)