The Shakescursion returns!!
Once again, members of the English Department are organising a "Shakescursion" to Stratford-upon-Avon and London. This time, we will see 3 plays performed by the Royal Shakespeare Company and players at The Globe as well as attend workshops, lectures, and postproduction Q&A with the actors!
The excursion will take place from August 1 – 5, 2023 (with travel dates being July 31 and August 6). Additionally, there will be a mandatory meeting in the last week of July, where we will also discuss the plays and organizational matters.
This excursion is open to all students interested in English Literature, no matter your level of study. However, it is limited to 20 participants.
The Programme: The Plays and the Extras
The plays we will be seeing are:
- William Shakespeare's As You Like It
- William Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night’s Dream
- William Shakespeare’s Macbeth
In addition to the plays, the tentative programme also includes:
- pre-theatre discussions of all the plays being seen
- lectures by leading Shakespeare scholars and experts of the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust on Shakespeare in Performance, Music in Shakespeare’s Theatre and The First Folio
- post-performance discussions of the plays
- a Q&A session with cast members of the Royal Shakespeare Company
- a Sonnets workshop
- an archive session with the First Folio
- a voice class
- a RSC Theatre tour
- a Globe Theatre tour
- visits to Shakespeare's birthplace and other notable sites (i.e. Shakespeare’s New Place, Anne Hathaway’s Cottage).
Costs, Deadline, Contact Information
Costs: The costs for the trip have been fully subsidized by PROMOS and the Europaauschuss (THANK YOU!!!). Costs for accommodation, travel, food, or personal expenses are self-funded.
Deadline to apply: The deadline for this year's trip has passed. Stay tuned for Future Shakescursions!!
Contact: Prof Dr. Michelle Witen (michelle.witen-PleaseRemoveIncludingDashesemail@example.com) and Dr. Michelle Smith (firstname.lastname@example.org)