- Since 2015: Professor and Chair of American Studies, University of Flensburg
- 02/2014-08/2015: Professor and Chair of American Studies, University of Vienna
- 2012 Habilitation, University of Würzburg
- 2011-2014: Junior Professor of Native American Studies, University of Mainz
- 2000-2011: Assistant Professor of American Studies, University of Würzburg
- 2007-2008: Visiting Professor, NSYSU Kaohsiung, Taiwan
- 2006 PhD (American Studies), University of Würzburg
- 2000 MA (American Studies, German Studies, British Studies), University of Mainz
Prof. Däwes is co-editor (with Karsten Fitz and Sabine N. Meyer) of the Routledge book series "Transnational Indigenous Perspectives" and editorial board member of Dramaturgies and New Comparative Poetics (ed. Marc Maufort). She serves as an editorial associate of the Sun Yat-sen Journal of Humanities (Kaohsiung, Taiwan) and as peer reviewer / reader for a number of international journals and book series, including Amerikastudien / American Studies, SAIL (Studies in American Indian Literatures), American Studies in Scandinavia, and the American Indian Culture and Research Journal.
Birgit Däwes currently serves as an appointed member on the American Studies Association (ASA)’s Womens Committee.