EUM Industrialised Countries (M.Eng.)
- Degree: Master of Engineering
- Study areas:
- Technology and Economics
- Energy and Environmental Technology
- Energy Industry and Energy and Environmental Management
- Renewable Energy Sources and the Efficient Use of Energy
- Head of studies: Prof. Dr. Olav Hohmeyer
- Standard period of study: 3 Semesters
- Language: normally English
- Start of the course: each summer semester
- Admissions restrictions: The is redetermined for each application deadline.
- Tuition fees: no, but a is payable.
The aim of this Master’s degree is to teach the skills required to detect and analyse issues in the fields of energy and environment autonomously to develop organisational and technical solutions for such issues independently and to convert such solutions into marketable products and services. In addition, the knowledge and understanding required for the evaluation of such issues and solutions in their social, political and legal context are also subject of this course.
ASIIN (Akkreditierungsagentur für Studiengänge der Ingenieurwissenschaften, der Informatik, der Naturwissenschaften und der Mathematik e.V.).
The following qualifications are taught or covered in-depth:
- Problem solving
- Ability act successfully and goal-directed
- Competence for lifelong autonomous learning
Knowledge in relevant areas
- Basic knowledge (usually the subject of the Bachelor degree)
- Specialist knowledge in the specific subject(s)
- Interdisciplinary specialist knowledge
- Economic competence
- Technical competence
- Ecological competence
- Legal competence
- Political competence
- International competence
- Intercultural competence
- Methodological competence
Personal key skills
- Social and ethical responsibility
- Ability to self-organise
- Ability to organise projects
- Ability to deal with constructive criticism
- Ability to solve conflicts
- Ability to think in a interdisciplinary manner
- Strategic decision-making and responsibility
- Entrepreneurial thinking
- Ability to communicate in an interdisciplinary manner
- Ability to think analytically
- Ability to work in a team
Due to the specific changes in the energy markets and the growing importance of reducing the anthropogenic greenhouse effect there is currently a rising demand for industrial engineers who are specialised in dealing with problems of energy and environmental management. For one thing, the solution to the key environmental problems in this area presents businesses, the state and society with new tremendous challenges. For the other, the liberalisation of the markets for grid-bound energy sources results in completely new requirements for businesses in the energy sector and in new opportunities for large companies in the energy procurement industry.
Graduates of the Energy and Environmental Management course work for
- energy supply companies of all sizes operating in the areas of strategic planning, power plant and grid planning, dispatch, use of renewable energy sources, forecasting intermittent energy sources, load forecasting, electricity trading, risk management, energy services and contracting, emission allowance trading, environmental management, environmental policy
- Manufacturers of energy technologies operating in the areas of strategic planning, development and marketing of new products, project management, technical-economic market analysis, environmental management
- Service providers and engineering consultants operating in the energy and environment sector in the area of project development, contracting, electricity trading, emission allowance trading and environmental management
- Large manufacturing businesses operating in the areas of energy management, electricity trading and purchase of energy sources, energy risk management, emission allowance trading, environmental management and environmental policy
- Energy and environmental research institutions carrying out research in the fields of development of sustainable energy systems, use of renewable energy sources, possibilities for improving efficiency in energy supply and demand, possibilities of carbon capture and storage and the development of new hydrogen-based energy systems
- Authorities and ministries dealing with the regulation of liberalised energy markets, the development of new more efficient measures of energy and environmental policy or monitoring the implementation of energy and environmental policy measures
- Associations of the energy and environmental sector in particular dealing with the development and enforcement of energy and environmental strategies and policies.
Experience have shown that students who completed the Diplom course have very good employment opportunities
Info and support
Info and support
- Specialist counseling:
- You'll find all information about going abroad on website.
- (Allgemeiner StudierendenAusschuss)
Would you like to apply?
You'll find all informationen about application, admission and requirements onwebsite. Please note that most of the information is only available in German.