European Cultures and Society (B.A.)
|Academic degree||Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)|
|Institute||Interdisciplinary Institute of Environmental, Social and Human Sciences|
|Responsible for programme|
For every study program, there is a respective head of studies, who can be found on this
|Normal course duration||6 semesters|
|Media of instruction|
Sufficient knowledge of the English language (corresponding to level B2 of the Common European Framework o Reference for Languages, CEFR)
|Beginning of the semester||Every winter semester|
|Admission||For detailed information seeand the (click on "application requirements").|
|Tuition fees||No tuition fees, butapply.|
|Information brochure||PDF to|
Academic profile and study objectives
The B.A. European Cultures and Society (EUCS) is an English-speaking, interdisciplinary studies-program focusing on the cultural and social sciences of Europe.
Empirical research methods, as well as hermeneutical methods of critical thinking, enable students to work in interdisciplinary settings.
One of the particular features throughout this program, is its project-based application of scientific knowledge in the fields of research, journalism, art and scenography, or entrepreneurship, which prepares students for dealing with the practical challenges of their future careers.
As an international B.A., with all classes taught in English, the program requires the completion of one semester abroad.
It is mandatory to complete a semester abroad in one of our several international partner universities.
In the semester abroad you will develop your language skills as well as intercultural communication competencies.
Introduction phase (1 and 2 semesters):
- The field "Topics and Disciplines" covers an introduction to Europe from the disciplinary perspectives of philosophy, culture, education, art, and media, as well as sociology, politics, economics, geography, and European law.
- The field "Doing Europe" focuses on research methods, as well as on a first introduction to the project-fields of research, journalism, art and scenography, and entrepreneurship.
Development phase (3 and 4 semesters):
- The field "Topics and Disciplines" subdivides into two different points of specialization: "European Cultures" or "European Society," from which the students focus mainly on one, while still maintaining some contact with the other.
- The field "Doing Europe" revolves around projects with relevant topics, related to Europe, which can be implemented through elected fields out of the four available: research, journalism, art and scenography, or entrepreneurship. Research methods are also featured.
Deepening phase (5 and 6 semesters):
- In the field "Topics and Disciplines" the chosen specialization point, "European Cultures" or "European Society", is deepened, namely through the interdisciplinary approach to current problems and debates related to European cultures or society.
- In the field "Doing Europe" individual work in one of the four available fields (research, journalism, art and scenography, or entrepreneurship) is emphasized.
The 6th semester is dedicated to writing the Bachelor Thesis. In a colloquium students prepare to present their results at a conference.
The 4th and 5th semesters are organized in a way that makes it easier for students to choose doing their semester abroad during this period of time. To make the integration abroad smoother, the students are encouraged to take part in the language courses offered by theof the Europa-Universität Flensburg.
The following documents constitute the basis of this study program at the Europa-Universität Flensburg:
- Examination and Studies Regulations (Statutes) of the Europa-Universität Flensburg for the European Cultures and Society studies-program with the academic degree of Bachelor of Arts of February 1st, 2016
Please note! The relevantrelated to the B.A. European Cultures and Society (EUCS) are available only in the German version.
This Bachelor offers you the technical and methodical knowledge to
- either immediately pursue a career, in a growing labor market demanding for well qualified professionals with an insight into European specific issues,
- or to enroll in a master program.
Direct career entry
Job opportunities can be found in a wide range of governmental, non-governmental (NGOs) or international organizations, small and medium enterprises, theaters, museums, newspapers and other art and media related institutions, both in the traditional form or in new media formats.
Potential fields of work are:
- Governmental and non-governmental bodies
- Associations, NGOs, International NGOs
- EU institutions
- Exhibition design and management
- Museum pedagogy and catalog editing
- Public work
- Services related to Europe (agency, consultancy, application services etc.)
- Schools and universities
- Political education / Adult education
- Small and medium-sized companies
- Political consultancy or management assistance in companies
- Conversion and transformation processes
- Culture and languages intermediation
- Journalism (journalism schools, publishers, broadcasting companies, new media)
Alternatively: Master program
In particular, the B.A. European Cultures and Society (EUCS) prepares you for any international interdisciplinary or subject-related Master program.
Such Master program can either be followed at Europa-Universität Flensburg or any other university at home or abroad. As a subsequent course of studies, the following courses are available at the Europa-Universität Flensburg:
The Master degree will additionally enable you pursue your doctoral degree.
Information and guidance
Information and guidance
Please note that some of the links provided in the following table lead to information that is available only in the German version.
|Any issues||Zentrale Studienberatung (ZSB)||Contact this Service with any issues or problems that you might experience as a prospective or current student!|
|Admission||Zulassungsstelle||Application, selection and admission procedure|
|Student status. Among others: enrollment, re-registration and leave of absence|
|Examination||Servicezentrum für Prüfungs-|
|Study programs||Fachberatung zum Studiengang||Specific questions about the study programs|
|International issues||International Center||Studying abroad, learning foreign languages, etc.|
|Internships||CampusCareer||Extracurricular internships, guidance and support for the career start|
|Academic Writing||TextLab!||Whether you are working on an essay/term paper, placement report, proposal, Bachelor’s or Master’s thesis, you will receive comprehensive support and assistance.|
|Social and economic issues||Sozialberatung||Social and economic questions|
|Psychological issues||Psychologische Beratung||Support in case of psychological problems|
|Student representation||(AStA)||Allgemeiner Studierenden-Ausschuss (AStA)||Student representation|
|Student representations of specific programs||Fachschaftsvertretungen||Studies-related student representations of specific programs|
|Other issues||Überblick von A-Z||Overview by topics|
Would you like to apply?
All information related to online-applications can be found! !
Information for applicants without High School final exam (Abitur) can be found!
Please note that, already before the end of the application period, you should possess a certificate stating sufficient knowledge of the English language.
More concrete information related to the language requirements and the accepted certificated can be found