Europa-Universität Flensburg awards doctoral scholarships annually on the basis of the Schleswig-Holstein Ordinance for the Promotion of Early-Stage Researchers and Artists (see also: Scholarship Regulations - StpVO).
Scope of funding
Funding takes the form of a scholarship and/or a mini-grant.
- Scholarships provide 1,350.00 euros per month. If a family supplement applies, this amount may be increased by 200 euros per month.
- Mini grants are one-time grants of up to 1,600 euros to covermaterial and travel expenses. See "Mini grants" for further details.
Please note: Funding allocations depend on the university’s budget situation at the time of the application deadline. There is no entitlement to receive a scholarship or grant.
Pursuant to Section 3.1 of the StpVO, applicants must meet the following criteria to be eligible for a doctoral scholarship:
- Demonstrates exceptional academic performance in courses and exams
- Is capable of doing important academic research
- Is under the age of 35 at the start of the funding period
- Has met the requirements noted in point 1 within four semesters of the standard period of study (standard period+4 semesters)
The following exclusion criteria will render an applicant ineligible for funding:
- The applicant works more than 10 hours per week in a research and teaching position, or the applicant works more than 5 hours per week in another job.
- The applicant has already received funding from public or publicly funded private institutions for the specific doctoral or artistic project to be developed.
- Other grounds for exclusion under Section 4 of the StpVO apply.
The scholarship or award will end:
- At the end of the funding period or
- At the end of the month when the doctoral examination takes place or
- At the end of the month when the scholarship holder has started a position that cannot be considered a side job (Nebentätigkeit), in accordance with § 4 StpVO.
Scholarships must be applied for directly to the EUF Scholarship Committee. Please address your initial application to the chair of the Committee for the Promotion of Early-Stage Researchers and Creative Talent (Scholarship Committee); see "Contact."
The application deadline is August 31, 2022.
In addition to the application form, applications must include the following documents:
- Cover letter
- Presentation of the dissertation project (exposé) in German or English; see "Guidelines for preparing the exposé"
- University transcripts and diploma (copies)
- Letters of assessment from two university professors; see "Letters of Assessment"
- Proof of income (see StpVO, Sections 7 and 8)
- Official verification of enrollment (Studienverlaufsbescheinigung)
- If applicable, marriage certificate and birth certificate(s) of dependent children
Letters of assessment
Letters of assessment are required of all applicants and can be written by professors or junior professors, either at EUF or another university or research institution. One of the letters must be written by the applicant’s doctoral supervisor at EUF.
Reviewers are asked to comment on the academic quality and the work program of the doctoral project. See "Guidelines for preparing letters of assessment" for specific guidelines and criteria
Scholarships provide one year of funding, extendable to one additional year. To apply for a 1-year funding extension, you must submit the required materials to stipendienausschuss-PleaseRemoveIncludingDashesemail@example.com four months before original funding period ends.
Applications must include all of the following documents:
- The completed Extension Application
- Comparison of your work to date against the work plan submitted with your initial application
- Report on the status of the research project and projected timeline
- Statement from the supervising evaluator on the current state of the project and the feasibility of the projected timeline
- Proof of income
Please indicate the funding period for which you are requesting an extension (up to one additional year).
After two scholarship years, you may apply for a second extension if it is clear that an additional year of funding will definitely enable you to finish the project.
In this case, your application documents must also include an explicit statement to that effect from your doctoral supervisor. Aside from this extra document, the process and required documents for the second extension are the same as for the first.
Mini grants offset the costs of any materials or travel deemed necessary to the development of the doctoral or artistic project. Applicants can apply for a mini grant to cover such expenses when they cannot reasonably obtain them by other means. Please submit appropriate substantiating documents along with your application.
Travel expenses include travel costs and increased expenses for meals and accommodation. Such expenses should be calculated using the lowest funding tier in the German Federal Travel Expenses Act of 26 May 2005 (BGBl. I., p. 1418), last amended by Article 15.5 of the Act of 5 February 2009 (BGBl. I. p.160).
The maximum award amount for mini grants is 1,600 euros.
Forms / Downloads
|Filename||Category||Date||Size / type|
|Ordnung (Satzung) der Europa-Universität Flensburg über die Förderung des wissenschaftlichen und des künstlerischen Nachwuchses (Stipendienordnung 2022)||07/14/22||102 KB (PDF)|
|Musterantrag für Sonderzuwendungen||09/28/21||56 KB (RTF)|
|Leitfaden zur Gutachtenerstellung||09/28/21||93 KB (PDF)|
|Leitfaden zur Exposéerstellung||09/28/21||130 KB (PDF)|
|Antrag_Weiterbewilligung||09/28/21||3 MB (PDF)|
|Antrag_Erstbewilligung||09/28/21||455 KB (PDF)|
Any questions or requests should be directed to stipendienausschuss-PleaseRemoveIncludingDashesfirstname.lastname@example.org.