EUF Academic Editing Service FAQ
This sheet gives basic information about our service. If your question does not appear below, please contact us at:
Are you an external agency?
No. EUF Translation and Editing Services is a free, in-house service of Europa-Universität Flensburg. Our aim is to help EUF scholars produce written work in English that meets the linguistic standards and expectations of the international research community.
What services do you offer?
Depending on staff availability and the needs of each text, our services range from light proofreading to heavy copy editing. The following types of texts are eligible for editorial support: journal articles, journal abstracts, funding proposals, and—exceptionally—book introductions or individual book chapters.
Who can request editorial assistance at EUF?
This service is open to all EUF professors, teaching staff, academic staff (wissenschaftliche Mitarbeiter), and doctoral students.
How much does the service cost?
Our editorial services are free of charge.
How can I apply for editorial assistance?
To request editorial assistance for your manuscript, please go to our. Fill out the form and upload a copy of your text, plus any supporting materials. Please submit all texts, tables and/or graphics for editing in MS Word format or similar. Your text must be 100% finished at the time of application.
When should I submit my application?
You may apply for editorial assistance at any time. However, we highly encourage you to do so at least 6 weeks prior to your submission deadline. This helps us support the entire EUF community and increases your chance of benefiting from the service. The turnaround time for more extensive manuscripts (20+ pages) may be longer.
Does everyone who applies for editorial support receive it?
Due to high demand and limited resources, we cannot guarantee support to all who request it. To optimally serve the entire EUF community, all applications are reviewed for pre-selection on the basis of specific criteria. The following EUF research institutions work collaboratively to ensure a fair and unbiased selection procedure:
|If you are a member of ...||Your request is reviewed by ...|
|Interdisciplinary Centre for European Studies|
|Zentrum für Bildungs-, Unterrichts-, Schul- und Sozialisationsforschung|
|All other applicants|
Office for Research
What are the selection criteria?
The following selection criteria apply:
- Type of publication (in order of priority): grant application; peer-reviewed journal article; journal article or abstract; book introduction or single chapter
- Availability of the editorial service staff at the time of request
- Estimated time and effort required to edit the manuscript
- Number of times the applicant has already received editorial support from this service
How can I support your efforts to offer outstanding service?
You can support our service in the following ways:
- Provide us with a 100% finished manuscript. Please avoid adding new text or modifying the existing text after you have sent it to us.
- If available, provide the original German version of your text, a sample text or texts from the same academic subject area, and/or a glossary of subject-specific terms.
- Respond promptly to editorial comments and suggestions.
Does EUF require anything of me in exchange for using this service?
Yes. EUF kindly asks all persons who benefit from this free service to (1) cite the EUF in the acknowledgements for their published text (2) promptly inform us if an edited text has been accepted for publication (3) send EUF a copy of the published text and/or full citation information.
How long will it take you to edit my manuscript?
Turnaround time varies in accordance with staff availability and current demand. We will give you an approximate return date for your edited text when your application is approved. Please allow a maximum turnaround time of about 4-6 weeks from the date of your notification email. Longer texts may take as long as two months to process if the number of existing jobs is high. Very short texts can usually be edited within a few days.
Which style guide do you use?
We use the Chicago Manual of Style (17th edition) as our standard reference guide.
What happens to my request for editorial assistance?
- Your request will be reviewed for pre-selection and staff availability will be checked.
- Within 7 days, your designated EUF research contact person (see table above) will inform you via email of the decision regarding your request.
- In the case of a positive answer, EUF Translation and Editing Services will email you to discuss the particularities of your text and state the approximate return date for your edited manuscript. Please allow a maximum turnaround time of about 4-6 weeks from the date of your notification email. For longer texts or during very busy periods, the turnaround time may be longer. We can usually return very short texts, such as abstracts, within a matter of days.
- Once finished, your edited text will be returned to you with suggested changes for your review. If necessary, the EUF editor will go through the manuscript a second time to finalize its revision in accordance with your feedback.
- If your manuscript is accepted for publication, please inform us of this via email to email@example.com. Kindly send us a copy of your published article and/or full citation as soon as it becomes available. We appreciate your cooperation!