Program for Foreign Language Assistants
The purpose of this programme is to extend and broaden the training of aspiring language teachers and to promote pupils' linguistic and cultural skills by meeting a native speaker.
The most important facts:
- Teaching at a host school, usually at secondary level
- Teaching in the mother tongue
- Participating countries: Australia, Belgium, China, France, Great Britain, Ireland, Italy, Canada, Mexico, New Zealand, Spain, Switzerland and the USA
- Duration of the internship: between seven and ten months
- Start of the internship: September/October (in Australia/New Zealand: January/February)
- Lessons per week: approximately 12 hours per week
- Subsistence allowance: the amount provided to cover the cost of living differs between the countries (between 640 and 1150 € per month).
Who can participate in the program?
- EUROPE: Teacher training students are given priority but also students of the language of the country of destination or other subjects can apply. It is required that these students have successfully completed the 4th semester.
- OVERSEAS: Students who study English or French (Québec), prospective language teachers are given priority (students must have studied at least 6 semesters).
- CANADA/USA: Successful completion of at least 6 semesters
- AUSTRALIA/NEW ZEALAND: Completed 1st State Examination
- Closing date for the submission of applications: USA: 1st November, other countries: 1st December for internships starting in September of the following year
- Application forms:
- Personal interviews with candidates take place in January/February
- Selection of the candidates by PAD, allocation to schools (approx. end of May).