Visa Information

Foreign students wishing to enter the Federal Republic of Germany require a entry visa for educational purposes (or student entry visa) issued by a diplomatic representation of the Federal Republic of Germany (embassy or consulate) in the student’s country of origin and entered into the passport. This regulation does not apply to applicants from EU countries. Prospective students should inquire in detail at an early stage about the visa requirements. They are warned against entering Germany with a tourist visa. A tourist visa cannot be retrospectively converted into a student entry visa or residence permit for educational purposes.

The entry visa is issued for three months only and must be converted into an electronic residence permit (eAT) at the Alien Department Office (Ausländerbehörde). Soon after arrival in Flensburg and at least 8 weeks before expiring you should request the eAT. The fee for the eAT is 100 €.

EU students do not need an entry visa and an electronic residence permit (eAT).

The following documents are usually required when applying for a visa:

  • a valid passport
  • proof of health insurance cover
  • proof of sufficient funds (minimum € 670 per month)
  • notification of admission/letter of acceptance from the German university
  • one passport photograph
  • application documents

The visa is issued for three months only and must be converted into a residence permit at the non-German nationals’ registration office after arrival in Flensburg. The fee for the residence permit is waived for nationals from an EU member country. Students from other countries may also be exempted from the fee if they receive a grant from public funds.

All students including EU students need a resident permit.