Living in Flensburg
Accommodation in the student residences
- To live on the student residences you will need to contact The Studentenwerk Schleswig-Holstein which is a non-profit organization in charge of the universities residencies and student accommodation nationwide.
- Rental period is always 6 months regardless if you are here or not.
For the Summer Semester the rental period is from the 1st of March until the 31st of August
For the Winter Semester the rental period is from the 1st of September until the 28th of February.
- The monthly rent is between 190€-280€ + 300 € security deposit (to be paid only once). The prices vary with the location and amenities. Altogether there are five different in Flensburg.
- Students need to contact directly Studentenwerk and to book a room.
- All student residence comprise self-catering accommodation with shared kitchen and cooking facilities. Some rooms have private facilities. Students must supply their own bed linen and towels as well as dishes and kitchenware (pots, pans, etc.).
Apartment share market (private)
- A furnished room in a shared student flat (Wohngemeinschaft) is difficult to arrange (from approx. € 200 incl. per month). The link for these share appartments is but it is only in German.
- Small flats with 2-3 rooms for families or student groups are let unfurnished (€ 250- € 425 basic).
- The University Student Union (AStA) provides find private accommodation. and advertisements and is happy to help you
Last minute accommodation
For late arrivals at short notice there is a, a and a .
Flensburger Tageblatt (daily newspaper): Tel. 0180/180 20 20, www.shz.de
- MoinMoin (free newspaper): Tel. 0461/588-9100,
- Flensburger Wochenschau (free newspaper): Tel. 0461/808-3013,
- Student portal from AStA der Universität Flensburg (Student Union):
Cost of living
Cost of Living
The cost of living is generally slightly lower than in major German cities. Students are recommended to budget for a minimum of 700 € to 850 € monthly, including rent. Breakfast, lunch and snacks are available in the main campus refectory (Mensa) open on weekdays from 8:30 to 4:00. The menu includes vegetarian dishes daily.
Cost of living in Flensburg
Initial one-off costs
|Cost in €|
Transport from Hamburg (airport) to Flensburg
approx. 40-50 €
Accommodation deposit (will be refunded by the end of your stay)
Rent for 1st month (if applicable)
200 € -280 €
Contribution to Student Services (semester fee)
Basics (bed linen, cutlery/china, toiletries)
|Approximate monthly costs||Cost in €|
Rent - room in student halls of residence or
200 €-280 €
|Private accommodation||220 € -350 €|
250 € -300 €
|Health Insurance (if required)||106 €|
Additional costs may occur for
Travel within Germany, books and materials, leisure activities (sport, etc.)