Living in Flensburg
Accommodation in the student residences
Student residences are managed by the Studentenwerk Schleswig-Holstein (student accommodation services).
- The rental period is always fixed at six months
Winter semester - September 1 to February 28
Summer semester - March 1 to August 31
- The monthly rent is from 190 € to 285 € depending on the location. A one-off security deposit of 250 € is due after signing the contract. Altogether there are four different in Flensburg.
- All student residences comprise self-catering accommodation with shared kitchen and cooking facilities. Some rooms have private facilities. Students must supply their own bed linen and towels as well as dishes and kitchenware (pots, pans, etc.).
- The online application has to be addressed directly to the
- Furnished accommodation in a shared student flat (Wohngemeinschaft) is very popular but not easy to find for short term stays.
- Unfurnished apartments with 2-3 rooms for families or a group of students are let in the city from 300 € excluding running costs.
- The University Student Union (AStA) keeps a to let and offers help in finding private accommodation within Flensburg.
Last minute accommodation
For late arrivals at short notice Flensburg Youth Hostels offer Bed & Breakfast from 16 -17 € per day (non-members).
Rental adverts in Newspapers
Flensburger Tageblatt (daily newspaper): Tel. 0180/180 20 20, www.shz.de
MoinMoin (free newspaper): Tel. 0461/588-9100,
Flensburger Wochenschau (free newspaper): Tel. 0461/808-3013,
Cost of living
Cost of Living
The cost of living is generally slightly lower than in major German cities. Students are recommended to budget for a minimum of 700 € to 850 € monthly, including rent. Breakfast, lunch and snacks are available in the main campus refectory (Mensa) open on weekdays from 8:30 to 4:00. The menu includes vegetarian dishes daily.
Cost of living in Flensburg
Initial one-off costs
|Cost in €|
Transport from Hamburg (airport) to Flensburg
approx. 40-50 €
Accommodation deposit (will be refunded by the end of your stay)
Rent for the 1st month (if applicable)
200 € -280 €
Contribution to Student Services (semester fee)
Basics (bed linen, cutlery/china, toiletries)
|Approximate monthly costs||Cost in €|
Rent - room in student halls of residence or
200 €-280 €
|Private accommodation||220 € -350 €|
250 € -300 €
|Health Insurance (if required)||92€|
Additional costs may occur for
Travel within Germany, books and materials, leisure activities (sport, etc.)