International students wishing to enter the Federal Republic of Germany require an entry visa for educational purposes (or student entry visa), issued by a diplomatic representation of the Federal Republic of Germany (embassy or consulate) in the student’s country of origin.. This regulation does not apply to applicants from EU countries. Prospective students should inquire in detail at an early stage about the visa requirements and should not enter Germany with a tourist visa. A tourist visa cannot retrospectively be converted into a student entry visa or residence permit for educational purposes.
- valid passport
- proof of health insurance cover
- proof of sufficient funds (minimum 735 € per month)
- notification of admission/ letter of acceptance from the German university
- visa application documents
After arrival - Electronic residence permit (eAT)
Non-EU students must register at the Foreigners' Office (Ausländerbehörde) within 7 days of their arrival to obtain an.The residence permit costs 110 € (an extension costs 93 €). The entire application process may take up to 2 months. The eAT is issued in credit-card format incorporating a number of electronic functions. It contains a contactless chip carrying personal data, biometric characteristics (photo; two fingerprints from individuals aged 6 or over) and any additional provisions pertaining to the cardholder. It also contains electronic proof of identity and offers an electronic signature function.
To apply for a residence permit, you must bringwith you
EU students must register only in the city hall (Bürgerbüro).
Proof of Sufficient Funds
New regulations require of all international students, EXCEPT EU CITIZENS, proof of sufficient funds to the sum of 735 € per month. This can be supplied in one of these forms:
1. A grant/stipend letter of confirmation
2. A formal obligation letter of the person who finances your studies, a so-called "Verpflichtungserklärung", which can be obtained from the German embassies at home.
3. Awith at least 735 €/ per month for a single person (Example: 6 Months at 735 €, total 4.410 €)
4. A bank guarantee for 735 € per month (single person) for at least 12 months (depending on your length of stay)
Immigration Office - Einwanderungsbüro
Town hall ground floor
Opening hours - Immigration Office
Monday / only by appointment
Tuesday / only by appointment
Wednesday / only by appointment
Thursday 07.30 - 12.00 o'clock
14.00 - 17.30 o'clock
Appointments can be made by telephone at 85-2000, by e-mail at email@example.com or in person at the Immigration Office at the following times:
Mondays between 13.00 and 16.30 hrs
Tuesdays and Wednesdays between 8.30 am and 12.00 pm.