Media & Communication Management
|Duration of module||One Semester|
|Module-Nr.||MIM S4 01|
|Type of course||Elective in S4 specialization|
|Frequency of module offer||Each year|
|Responsible||Prof. Dr. Berthold H. Hass|
|University teacher||Prof. Dr. Berthold H. Hass|
|Teaching language||German or english|
|Total workload and structure|
(e.g. self-study + contact time)
|300 h: 150 h contact time, 150 h self-study|
|Semester hours per week||3 hours lecture + 2 hours tutorial|
|Emphasis of the grade for the final grade||10/120|
Qualification objectives of the module:
- The lecture gives an introduction to the basic questions and problem areas of media and communication management. Students are expected to learn basic aspects with regard to the management of media companies and acquire main theoretical approaches.
- In this context, they should particularly understand the close relationship between media and advertizement and know the chances and boundaries of old and new media for the communication management.
- Moreover, they should be enabled to apply such principles and concepts within important segments of media and communication management. In this process, great value is set upon the challenges arising from new information and communication technologies (incl. mobile and social media).
- Advertizing theory
- Foundations of media planning
- Foundations of online communication
- Information theory
- Theories of media use
- Media and convergence theory
- Network effects and standards
- Media change
- Content management
- Price strategies
Teaching and learning methods of the module:
Lecture, tutorial and group work
Written examination and group work (10 CPs in total)
If possible, conception and implementation of an online advertizing campaign as part of the Google Online Marketing Challenge
Küng, L. (2008): Strategic Management in the Media: From Theory to Prac- tice, London et al. (Sage).
Shapiro, C./Varian, H. R. (1999): Information Rules: A Strategic Guide to the Network Economy, Boston (Harvard Business School Press).