Europa-Universität Flensburg (EUF) is a place of research and teaching; a place where knowledge is created, examined and imparted. It is here where people learn, teach and research together in their diversity and in the productive conflict with any methods and arguments. EUF is a place of general and professional education, a place where all university members shape the present and the future; in doing so, they are aware of the social significance and responsibility of their work. The EUF members act in the conviction that there is an indissoluble connection between the quality of their work and the manners among each other. For this reason they establish a code that is guided by the core values which are part of the general principles of the university.
We wish to open up horizons. We are a vibrant and learning university of continuous development. We work, teach and research for justice, sustainability and diversity in education, school and the world of employment, in economy, society, culture and environment by overcoming boundaries.
The General Code mediates between general principles and everyday life, between any abstract values and specific situations. On the basis of a few guidelines, the General Code offers an orientation for dealing with each other. These guidelines have been developed in order to support a productive working atmosphere and to provide guides for the amicable solution of any problems and conflicts. They contribute to the development and strengthening of a culture whose basis is the voluntary commitment of individual persons and institutions to mutual respect, fairness and solidarity. With the help of respect, fairness and solidarity EUF becomes a place of diversity, justice and sustainability.
- All EUF members contribute to a good working atmosphere in teaching, research, studies and administration; their communication, their acting and their conduct are characterized by an attentive, esteeming and considerate interaction with each other.
- The EUF members respect the dignity of others in their conduct and oppose any discriminatory statements and acts of any kind.
- The EUF members respect employees´ and students´ right to a good work-life balance or study-life balance.
- In case of any personal or economic relationships or close professional collaboration or acquaintanceship, EUF members avoid any conflicts of interest, in particular with regard to any appointment and application procedures, contract award processes and evaluations, by promptly disclosing the facts so that the relevant committees and persons can ensure a transparent and fair procedure.
- The lecturers at EUF behave in a fair manner; in particular, they respect the right to freedom of expression of students, colleagues and any other members of the university.
- The lecturers at EUF promote academic educational processes of students which, in concrete terms, may include the impartation of knowledge, comprehension, capabilities and skills as well as attitudes pursuant to the learning objectives as defined in the module catalogue. The lecturers use methods, employ materials, initiate activities and assign tasks that are suitable to achieve such development objectives. For the purpose of the respective educational objectives they give students opportunities for structuring their individual and common learning experience and encourage them to assume responsibility for their own learning and the overall study atmosphere ; they reflect upon students´ knowledge, skills and background and strive for fair educational conditions for them. By way of a prompt and appropriate feedback they enable students to critically reflect their own performance and that of others.
- The lecturers at EUF offer their courses in a punctual and reliable manner and in accordance with the timetable or provide appropriate substitutes; they are at the students´ disposal for advice and support during appropriate periods of time within and outside the lecture periods.
- EUF and its lecturers strive for continuously improving the teaching qualification. In this context, they consider student feedbacks, make use of any offers for professional as well as university didactic further training and participate in quality circles.
- The lecturers as well as any other employees and contract teachers of EUF offer no paid services related to their work to any students enrolled at EUF.
- The students at EUF behave in a fair manner; in particular, they respect the right to freedom of expression of lecturers, fellow students and any other members of the university.
- The students at EUF assume responsibility for their studies and their own learning and make themselves familiar with any examination and study regulations, module catalogues and timetables in a timely manner. They attain module performances and test achievements in an independent and timely manner and only use admissible aids for this purpose.
- In case of any problems during their studies or courses, the students at EUF assume (self-) responsibility; in the event of any conflict situations they react in an appropriate way and contribute constructively and solidly to any solutions.
- Scientific integrity is crucial for universities. The EUF members are committed to an honest, upright as well as responsible conduct and include any ethical considerations in their research projects.
- The EUF members refrain from any acts that might damage the overall scientific reputation of EUF, one of its institutes or its employees. They are actively involved in preventing or detecting such acts by any third parties; in conflict situations they include the ombudsperson for good scientific practice in a timely manner.
- The professors at EUF support young scientists and students in developing an academic attitude consistent with the principles of good scientific practice.
- EUF members with personnel responsibility behave in an exemplary and fair manner and support a working atmosphere characterized by appreciation and respect. They are aware of the legal framework relevant for their field of work or adopt the latter within an appropriate timeframe.
- The EUF members behave in an exemplary and fair manner and support a working atmosphere characterized by appreciation and respect. At no time does their superiors´ greater responsibility release employees from their own responsibility for their work area.
- The senior staff members at EUF exercise personnel responsibility according to a duty of care for themselves and the employees. They also encourage their employees with regard to their professional and personal development and enable them to attend any further education and advanced training sessions in line with the resources available.
- The senior staff at EUF assesses the qualification, competence as well as professional performance of applicants and employees in a fair and just manner and in accordance with impartial standards.
- The senior staff at EUF gives employees as much personal responsibility and freedom of action as possible and ensures the compliance with any legal regulations as well as with the regulations applicable within EUF. The senior staff supports their employees in optimizing their work processes, encourages them to write up any improvement suggestions and takes the latter seriously.
- EUF, as an institution of the public service, is responsible for the legally, economically and sustainably correct use of public funds. All EUF members fulfill their tasks in accordance with the principles of legality, appropriateness, and economy as well as transparency.
- The senior staff at EUF bears the cost responsibility for the department assigned to them with due respect to the general interests of EUF and ensures an efficient use of the resources together with their employees.
- For the purpose of the tendering and order award procedures the EUF members are guided by the current public procurement directives and ensure the fair and non-discriminatory competition of various suppliers.
- Any contributions in the form of money, material assets or services by any third party (sponsoring) to EUF must be provided in a transparent and reasonable way.
- The EUF members handle any personal third-party donations with regard to their work at EUF (presents, invitations or any other benefits) in a responsible-minded and transparent way.In case of doubt, the disciplinary supervisor must be informed.
- The EUF members treat confidential data and, in particular, personal data or sensitive data worthy of protection for any other reasons, in a careful and responsible manner. In doing so, they observe any applicable legal regulations (even after leaving EUF).
- The EUF members treat all data and information with care and sensibility, even if they are not expressly indicated as confidential; in particular, in case of any internal or external data transfer they observe the data protection required.
- For the purpose of electronic information and data processing as well as data retrieval on mobile devices, the EUF members pay attention to any appropriate precautions and protective measures.
- Sustainability means using ecological resources only within their natural regenerative capacity in order to give future generations the opportunity to meet their needs. With this in mind, sustainable behavior is conceived as practiced equity. The EUF members apply the principle of sustainability to their social, environmental and economic behavior.
- The EUF members strive for reducing the environmental impact of their actions with regard to their professional activities and conduct. EUF supports them in this respect by establishing appropriate framework conditions as well as providing ecological alternatives.
- EUF steps up its efforts to offer a health-oriented work environment and to support maintaining the physical and psychological health of employees and students by means of any appropriate measures and offers in line with the resources available. However, this does not release the EUF members from their responsibility to take care of their own health maintenance.
- The EUF members use any premises, facilities, devices and equipment made available to them for official or study purposes in a proper and responsible way. A marginal private use of the information and communication technology available is accepted as long as it does not affect their daily work.
EUF ensures to provide all EUF members with appropriate and regular information as to the General Code. Information sessions and advanced training courses are offered for employees; the General Students´ Committee and the student associations are called upon to offer regular sessions for students.
New employees or students will get a copy of this General Code upon their recruitment or enrollment.
Flensburg, 17 June 2015