Die Welt ist ein Buch.
Wer nie reist, sieht nur eine Seite davon.
Aurelius Augustinus

General Information

Can you tell me some information about your University?

The Europa Universität Flensburg is located in the city of Flensburg, at the border with Denmark. It was founded in 1994 and is the northernmost university in Germany. It offers mainly courses in education and other fields of social sciences.

Among the special features includes the German-Danish study courses in cooperation with the University of Southern Denmark Sønderborg. Our modern campus site is provided with facilities which fulfil the highest technical and multimedia requirements. As part of this the university campus with its landscaped surroundings, refectory and lecture theatre complex are largely equipped with WLAN-access. This means that cordless internet access is possible from every location within the university. The University of Flensburg also offers a wide range of attractive leisure and sports activities. There is a fitness centre offering state-of-the-art equipment.

When is the Winter  (Semester 1)?

Official Winter Semester (WiSe): 1st of September-28th February.

Lecture period until the end of December
When is the Summer  (Semester 2)?

Official Summer Semester: 1st of March– 31st August.

Do students need to show a certain amount of funds to apply to your university?  If so, how much and what information do you require?

For the University students do not need to show anything. However, they need to show the German government they have 720€ times the number of months they will be here in order to get the student visa .
what is the GPA requirement?Good standing - no probation
Number of credits that undergraduate students need to complete in one semester?It is recommended that they take between 20 and 30 ECTS, equivalent to 10-15 credits in other countries(circa).
Is the University tuition free?Yes. German Universities do not require tuition payments. Your 100€ Matriculation Fee covers ASTA membership and your free semester bus ticket.


How is the application procedure  for Incoming Exchange Students?

To apply for an exchange study period at the University of Flensburg you need to be nominated officially by your International Office or coordinator. After the nomination you will receive an email with a link from us to start your online application.

What are the application  requirements for Incoming Exchange Students?


  1. Online application form
  2. Motivation letter in English or in German (1 page explaining why you want to come to the University of Flensburg, PDF)
  3. Academic History/Academic Transcripts (list of subjects with grades obtained, PDF)
  4. Photocopy of passport showing your photo, number and expiration  date (PDF)
  5. Native speakers or students of English or German do not need a language proof. Other applicants require B2 language level and can be one of the following (PDF):
    1. TOEFL score with a minimum of 76 Points Internet-based (207 Computer-based or 540 Paper-based)
    2. Official certification that you can speak English or German (can be from your home university)
  6. Photocopy of health insurance proof in English or German. Applicants from the EU can submit a copy of their European Health Insurance Card (PDF).
  7. Proof of current home university enrolment (PDF)
  8. A photo (JPG)
When are the nomination deadlines?

Winter Semester (WiSe) -Nomination: 10. April, Application: 10. April – 1. May

Summer Semester (SoSe) -Nomination: 10. October, Application: 10. October – 1. November

When are the application deadlines (Fall and Summer)?

Applications/information on students nominated must reach our institution by:

1st of June for the Winter Semester and 1st of December for the Summer Semester. Online application only.

We will send our decision within 2 weeks.

Would it be possible for somebody to contact me and help me with the application process?

The application is done online and is self-explanatory. However, if you have questions you may contact the study program directly https://www.uni-flensburg.de/en/prospective-students/application/ 

Language classes

Are there any language classes for exchange students?  If yes, please advise on the schedule and costs of the courses.During the semester there are German courses for levels A1-C1. Additionally, the Language Center offers many other languages. For more information please visit the Language Center. These courses have been made free of charge for University staff and students.

Studying in Flensburg

When do we receive the Transcripts of Records?A Transcript of Records will be issued no later than 2 weeks after the semester end.
Are there restricted programs or classes not open to exchange students?Everything is open, but students need to check requirements and availability since we have limited capacity.
Where can the students find modules/classes descriptions?

At the following link you can find the majority of the classes taught in English


What is the grading system in Germany?

The University of Flensburg follows the ECTS system. An average course load has 30 credit points per semester. Student performance is normally evaluated with a grade.

1,0 - 1,3

excellent (sehr gut)

1,7 – 2,0 - 2,3

good (gut)

2,7 – 3,0 - 3,3

fair (befriedigend)

3,7 - 4,0

satisfactory (ausreichend)

4,3- 5,0

Failed (ungenügend)


Ungraded - Pass (bestanden)


Not passed (nicht bestanden)

What are your Study programs?


  1. Education (BA)
  2. European Cultures and Society (BA)
  3. International Management (B.Sc.)


  1. Education (M.Ed.):
    1. Teaching in Primary Schools
    2. Teaching in Secondary Schools
    3. Teaching in Special Needs Schools
    4. Teaching in Vocational Schools
  2. Energy and Environmental Management (M.Eng.)
    1. Developing countries
    2. Industrial countries
  3. European Studies (MA)
  4. Health Education and Prevention (MA)
  5. Culture, Language, Media (MA)
  6. Management Studies (M.Sc.)
  7. International Management Studies (MA)
  8. Master of Educational Science in Europe (MA)
  9. Daycare- Management of Early Childhood Education (M.A)
  10. Transformation Studies


  1. Ph.D.  Doctorate in Philosophy
  2. Rer. Pol. Doctorate in Politics
What Bachelor Programs are offered in English?

B. A. European Cultures and Society, http://www.uni-flensburg.de/en/prospective-students/application/application-bachelor/european-cultures-and-society/

What Masters Programs are offered in English?

v  European Studies (M.A.)

v  Energy & Environmental Management for Developing Countries (M.Eng.)

For more information and application please follow the link: http://www.uni-flensburg.de/en/prospective-students/application/application-master/

Where is the Website for inbound exchange related information?


Each program has its own website too.
What is the Email address that exchange applicants can direct their enquiries to?Incoming@uni-flensburg.de
What are the estimated expenses for a semester in Flensburg?

The German government requires to get the visa a proof that that the student has 720€ month multiplied by the numbers of months of the stay. However, Flensburg is not an expensive city in comparison to other German cities.

Approximately monthly costs:

Room                             200-250€

Food                              250-300€

Insurance                                92€

Miscellaneous                50-100€

Total 592-742€ depending on your lifestyle

Initial costs:

Transport Hamburg-Flensburg                                    28,00€

Accommodation deposit (will be refunded)           300,00€

Telephone card                                                              30,00€

Semester fee                                                                100,00€

Books                                                                             150,00€

Basics ( bed linen, cutlery/china, toiletries)             50,00€

Services available

Services available to exchange students (internet access, sports facilities, student organizations, libraries)

Services available to all students:

1.       Studentensekretariat (Registrar's Office)

2.       Prüfungsamt (Examinations Office)

3.       Studienberatung (Student Advisory Service)

4.       Gleichstellungsbeauftragte (Equal Opportunity Commissioner)

5.       Allgemeiner Studentenausschuß -AStA- (Student Union)

6.       AStA Papierladen (Stationery Shop)

7.       Studentenwerk Schleswig-Holstein (Student Services), which  provides:

a.       Psychological counselling, and manages the student housing.

b.      Wohnheimtutor für ausländische Studierende/Residential Tutor for International Students

c.       Study Buddy program

8.       Evangelische Studierendengemeinde - ESG – Religious Organization Protestant church

9.       Ansprechpartner für katholische Studierende/Contact for catholic students

10.   Zentrale Hochschulbibliothek (Library)

11.   Mensa (Student Refectory/Large Cafeteria)

12.   Campus Suite/Small cafeterias

13.   Kindertagesstätte/Child care: (45 places in 3 group)

14.   Wireless internet access in the whole campus

15.   Sports facilities & clubs.

What is a 'Welcome Folder'?The Welcome Folder is a package you receive upon arrival with all necessary information concerning your time in Flensburg.
I want to start my own company, who can help me?

Dock1 from VentureWerft offers advise to help  you with Start-Ups, entrepreneurship, etc. They are at  the EUF Campus. Student entrepreneurs can work and use their  premises any time free of charge .

You can find them from Monday to Friday from 10:00 to 16:00 in the Dock1 from VentureWerft  in the basement of  Audimax, just down the stairs. You can see their flag and the bean bags from their back door.


Is on-campus accommodation guaranteed for exchange students?  

The accommodations on campus are administered by a non-profit organization called Studentenwerk. The students must apply directly with them. The earlier the better the chance to obtain a room on Campus. The link is: http://www.uni-kiel.de/stwsh/

We cannot guarantee a room to any students, therefore it is advised that students apply early to avoid disappointment

Meal plan Options for on-campus accommodation?There are no meal plans, since normally the students have only lunch at the cafeteria. They usually live in share apartments with a common kitchen thus they will have breakfast and dinner at home.
Does the university assist students to find off-campus accommodation?

If the student was not able to get a room on Campus we will help to find an alternative place off campus. The most common form of student accommodation in Germany is a Wohngemeinschaft or 'WG', which can be found on wg-gesucht.de

Can you send me my rental contract prior to arrival?

If you apply through the International Center, you will receive your contract upon arrival in Flensburg.

However, if you apply directly with the Studentenwerk, your contract should be sent to you in advance.

What do you mean by 'Please bring cash for deposit'?Upon arrival in your room, you will be required to pay the 300€ deposit to the Wohnheim tutor before you are given your keys. This must be paid in Euros and must be paid in cash, not by card


Are exchange students required to obtain a student visa? Please provide what you will issue, letter, forms etc., for students to apply for a visa

Foreign students wishing to enter the Federal Republic of Germany require a entry visa for educational purposes (or student entry visa) issued by a diplomatic representation of the Federal Republic of Germany (embassy or consulate) in the student’s country of origin and entered into the passport. This regulation does not apply to applicants from EU countries. Prospective students should inquire in detail at an early stage about the visa requirements. They are warned against entering Germany with a tourist visa. A tourist visa cannot be retrospectively converted into a student entry visa or residence permit for educational purposes.

Once you receive your letter of matriculation with the University you may apply for a residence permit

How much does a student visa cost?The  resident  permit costs 100€ and the extensions costs 80€
Are exchange students allowed to work and how many hours are they permitted to work?

Students are allowed to work 120 full days or 240 half days per year.

Is a special visa required for work?

EU-nationals are permitted to work or to complete a period of practical placement in Germany without requiring to obtain a work permit.

The residence permit for studies in Germany issued to Non-EU nationals does not include a work permit. These students are only permitted to work for a maximum of 120 full days or 240 half days per year.When they leave their countries they leave with a temporary visa which they need to extend as soon as they arrive in Germany. They can work once they have extended their visas.
Will I be able to sponsor my family with my visa?If you can prove you have €720 per person per month of the visa, then yes. For example, if you and your partner wished to live together for the 6 months of your visa, you would need to prove you could support yourself and your partner for 6 months, at a total of €8,640.

Medical insurance

Are exchange students able to apply for an insurance waiver if they have their own insurance coverage or are they required to purchase a compulsory plan? If yes please provide details and approximate cost? 

In Germany, all students up to the age of 30 are subject to compulsory health insurance (currently € 92 monthly). If you are from a country that has concluded a bilateral social security agreement with Germany and if you have sufficient health insurance coverage in your home country, you will be exempted from the obligation of insuring yourself with a statutory health insurance scheme for the duration of your course of study in Germany. In order to get exemption, you must bring and submit your EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) or other proof of health insurance in your own country.

The student can apply for a waiver here, if the insurance in Germany confirms that the student is well covered with their own insurance. However, all documents must be provided  in English or German.



How can I get a scholarship?

The DAAD (German Academic  Exchange Service) gives an overview of  various funding opportunities for students, graduate students and researchers.  Please note that some of those scholarships have to be applied for from your home countries. In the DAAD database you can search for subject field and status and find out about possible funding programs or scholarships.

Europa-Universität Flensburg cannot offer any scholarships for study.

How can I get a job?

To find job offers there are the following possibilities:

  • The career service of the Campus Flensburg, CampusCareer, has a list of job offers and internships for students in Germany and Denmark: campuscareer.de.
  • The homepage of the Asta (general students committee) provides you with links to various job offers. It also has a notice board in the university main building (HG, ground floor) where current student jobs are posted.  
  • Many students work part-time in cafés and restaurants, as hosts at trade fairs, as bicycle couriers, office assistants, cleaners or babysitters. Offers for this kind of job can be found in the small ads of regional or local newspapers (e.g. Flensburger Tageblatt, Moin Moin), they may also be advertised on the premises of the various employees.
  • Some jobs are advertised online with the Agentur für Arbeit.